Start spreading the news...

Wall Street
...I'm leaving today!

Well, technically I left 3 months ago and have been back for a while but I am still trying to get over the fact my dreams came true. America was everything I imagined it would be and more!

Carrie Bradshaw's apartment
As a single twenty-something New York has held a special place in my heart for a number of years now. The TV series Friends and Sex & The City, and films such as Home Alone 2, Serendipity, Sleepless in Seattle (the list is endless) always made me wonder what life would be like "over-the-pond". On the 1st of September this year I made the trip to the city that never sleeps.

Although I was there with my brother and a couple of friends, due to work commitments I had to travel a week later than them and so I made my first long-haul flight alone. I was flying to Ireland first with a small stop in Shannon before going onto JFK. Luckily I had seen where clearance was on a previous trip to Shannon and so managed to navigate my way there with little trouble. I was finally on board with just 7 1/2 hours between me and the Big Apple. As we landed I could just make out the famous skyline amongst the haze, my heart started to race.

My first view of New York
My brother was stuck on the airport shuttle on his way to meet me at the airport and so I took the opportunity to grab an iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts. I ordered a medium as I always do and was greeted with an iced coffee the size of my head! I was going to like it here. My brother arrived shortly after so we went to grab a taxi. First fan-girl moment, I was actually going to travel in a yellow taxi! My first view of the Empire State from the taxi resulted in a small squeal from me, and a big eye roll from my brother!

Empire State from the Highline
We had booked the Affinia Manhattan for our stay in New York and although the rooms and bathroom were on the small-ish side you couldn't fault the location. Directly opposite Madison Square Garden and Penn Station on West 31st Street and 7th Avenue we were slap bang in the middle of the action and minutes away from 34th St Subway Station. A quick shower and change and we went to meet our friends in the Financial District for tea. Navigating the subway for the first time was a little tricky, but we soon became pros by the end of the trip!

O'Hara's
O'Hara's Irish pub on Cedar Street is a stone's throw from the 9/11 memorial and the previous site of the World Trade Centre. The first thing you will see is the sheer number of police and fire department badges adorning every free space of the bar, the place is worth a visit for that alone. Whilst you are there though ask to see their photo album documenting 9/11 and years after. One of the most humbling experiences I have ever had. It was hard to imagine that the pub was still standing!

Inside the Empire State
Our second day was a definite tourist day. Up early to see Carrie Bradshaw's apartment on Perry Street and a wander around the meat packing district before finding our way to The Highline. The Highline is a public park that has been transformed from a disused freight line. It spans the length of the island from Gansevoort Street to West 34th Street and is definitely worth a visit. We walked near enough the whole length of it but even a short visit is worth your time. Elevated above the busy streets of Manhattan just gives you a completely different view of the city.

Bryant Park
A walk along West 34th Street soon takes you to The Empire State building, I will truly never get bored of seeing this iconic building and the view from the top was just breathtaking. If you visit during the daytime your ticket will also let you revisit the same evening for a nighttime view, something we didn't manage this trip but is definitely on my list for next time.

Whispering Wall - Grand Central
That evening we went for dinner in Hooters, when in New York hey! Not before doing my very own impression of Marilyn Monroe and stepping over a steam grate showing my knickers to the whole of Columbus Circle. Oh the shame! Our friend was adamant that our first view of Times Square had to be at night and so after $5 margaritas in Mother Burger we were to finally see Times Square for the first time and what a view it was! Unfortunately the margaritas had gone to our heads and so an impromptu game of Hide & Seek ensued in the Disney Store, you wouldn't think I was coming up to thirty!

Alice in Wonderland statue
Day 3 started with a Pumpkin Spiced Latte and an almond croissant blossom from Starbucks - why we can't have these back in the UK I don't know, they are just divine! I know we have pumpkin spice over here but it's definitely not the same recipe. About 18 months ago I had a dream about visiting Bryant Park and took it as a bit of sign that I had to go during this trip and so we did. This park surrounded by skyscrapers is one of my favourite spaces in the city, I'd love to go back and spend a bit more time there than we did that day. A walk past the New York public library took us to Bloomingdales and Grand Central Station, we even had a go at the whispering wall with a New York city cop - yet another fan-girl moment! Before we knew it we had reached Central Park.

Strawberry Fields
Bethesda Fountain
I don't think it's possible to appreciate just how vast this park is until you go. Bethesda fountain was just as spectacular as it is in the films, the Alice in Wonderland statue took me right back to my childhood and Strawberry Fields with its black and white Imagine mosaic really was quite special. Again, with so much to see and so little time to do it our Central Park trip had to be cut short. We had purchased a hop-on-hop-off bus tour for two of our days in New York, this proved to be a great buy. The running commentary was hilarious as well as informative and gave our feet a much needed rest.

Apollo Theatre
After a trip through the Bronx and a sneak peak of the famous Apollo Theatre, our bus tour took us to the Rockefeller Centre just in time for a sunset view from the "Top of the Rock". I'm still struggling to this day to decide which view I prefer. The top of the Empire State is incredible because, well, you're on top of the Empire State! Top of the Rock on the other hand gives you views over Central Park and also a view of the Empire State down to the Freedom Tower and beyond. It's a tough one.

View from Top of the Rock
Before we knew it we had run out of time and had to get ready for dinner. Deciding to speed our trip up back to the hotel we decided to hail a cab. Big mistake! Times Square during rush hour - DON'T DO IT! Luckily we made it back to the hotel and onwards to Rector Street subway station in time for dinner at the "View of the World". The food was scrumptious and the views from their roof terrace just amazing. I already didn't want to leave this incredible city.

View from the Ferry
Coffee and croissants preceded our last full day in the city. A walk down Wall Street led us to the Ferry terminal where our ferry trip to the Statue of Liberty was to soon depart. Now this, out of anything you do in New York is a must! As the boat neared Lady Liberty herself, Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" started to blast out of the tannoy and the boat slows to allow you to get all the photos and more you could need. But it's not until the boat turns that you then see the whole of the island of Manhattan being watched over by the Statue of Liberty. Safe to say I got very emotional, and I think this was where I finally had my first 'I'm-actually-in-New-York' moment.

Brooklyn Bridge
A spur of the moment decision was then made to leave the boat as it docked in Brooklyn and walk over the famous Brooklyn Bridge, this was something our friend had never done in all her times in New York and what a great experience it was too! Our walk from Brooklyn to Manhattan led us to an Irish American bar where I had the best burger of my entire life, it's a good job we'd had the exercise of all that walking before hand though. I feel stuffed now just thinking about it!

Freedom Tower
Of course, no trip to New York is complete without a view of the 9/11 Memorial and Freedom Tower. Commemorating all those who lost their lives as a consequence of that horrific attack, stands two memorial pools surrounded with every victim's name engraved in bronze. It truly is astounding, and the place has such an eerie calmness about it. Within the memorial stands a pear tree that withstood the devastation of these attacks. This tree was found at Ground Zero and was replanted showing new branches that had grown from the destroyed ones, a remarkable sight to see. Unfortunately we didn't manage to visit the museum but this is definitely on my list for next time.

American Museum of
Natural History
A subway ride away stood the American Museum of Natural History and was to be our last tourist stop of the trip. Timing again wasn't on our side and so we only managed a couple of exhibits before it was announced the museum was to close for the day. A quick dash to the Dinosaur exhibit was decided as this was what the majority of us wanted to see. We just managed to power walk through it all before being told be had to exit the building.

9/11 Memorial
I had heard about a roof top bar with a view of the Empire State that just HAD to be seen to be believed. And so that evening, our last in New York, we headed towards the Strand Hotel on West 37th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue. Finding the hotel proved to be a little tricky and just as we were going to give up, there it was. We were welcomed towards the lift and pressed that magic button. As those lift doors opened before me I got goosebumps. The most perfect view of the epitome of New York was stood before me. It took my breath away. I am so glad I saved this for our last night, it was the most perfect way to end our time in such a magical city. A visit to the Top of the Strand is definitely Number 1 on my Top 10 places to go in New York.

And there it was, over. Writing about my trip has just made me all the more desperate to go back. If it wasn't for the fact that we left the following morning not for home, but for another adventure in Florida I think I wouldn't have got on the plane. I am so lucky to have experienced this incredible city, I just hope I don't have to wait too long for the sequel.

Top of the Strand

Comments

Popular Posts